Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Introduction

So! I’ve finally done it! I’ve finally started something that has been on my to do list for the last couple of years, a blog to rant on and post my grievances about society. But before I begin my weekly or monthly diatribes about how fucked up people in this world are let me explain the title of my blog. The phrase hood proper is a term I created to describe how I feel sometimes. While I’m actively propelling myself into the upper levels of the educational elite (whether I become a part of it remains to be seen), I cannot hide the fact that I was born and raised on the Southside of Chicago and this has contributed to my outlook on the world, how I view myself within it and how I interact with people. Every part of the Southside of Chicago is not the hood but the hood mentality is definitely present whether you live in Hyde Park or the Wild 100’s. No matter how much education I attain I have not been able to eliminate my hood mentality. It may not be on display while I’m discussing history inside the classroom but it is still there and while I’m arguing in an eloquent manner against my peers I might be thinking inside my head, “What the fuck is that dumb shit you just said?” The hood is a main part of my mentality and my education is what’s proper and that is where I get the term “hood proper” from to describe myself. The term represents the dichotomy of how I feel sometimes but I manage them very well. And so this blog begins……

No comments:

Post a Comment